As the CEO of the Church Excellence Framework, this has been an exciting year where we feel the Lord has given many a rough blueprint for what needs to happen to restore the reputation of the church. Here are a few things we believe in passionately and believe are highly backed up scripturally and in practice.
- Returning the church to the original definition of Ecclesia; that all people have authority and involvement, not just leaders.
- The church serving the people not the people serving the church vision.
- Moving to the Senior Pastor as a facilitator rather than the person who must give permission before people are allowed to act in their area of passion.
- Clarifying and serving the Calling of People vs Serving the Church vision, even if outside of the churches activities.
- Priesthood of All Believers and Every Member Ministry (1 Peter 2: 9) to put less pressure on paid pastors.
- Placing significant emphasis on the skill of the youth and children’s workers, as this is the area of the greatest fruit.
- Bringing back the Five Fold Ministry (Eph 5) ensuring that every church has apostolic oversight, and that there is a role for the Evangelist and those with prophetic gifts. One could also argue for the removal of the Senior Pastor role biblically.
- Increasing understanding of the heavenly court systems and unseen realities of heaven that have been hidden from traditional church teaching.
- More effective methods of Empowering, Establishing and Equipping of the Saints, going beyond small groups and sermons to methods of multiplication, fathering and pathways to growth.
- Moving from measures of “Connecting to a Church” to “Measures of Transformation.”
- Moving away from the Attraction Model to the Discipling Model – Platforms for Community Engagement not Concert Attendance
- Moving towards measuring “numbers of disciples effectively equipped and able to reach out” versus “Numbers attending Church.”
- Changing the staffing structure from appointing ministry roles to appointment by critical Functions such as HR and Communications, Head of Spiritual Operations or Head of Evangelism. Avoiding pastors seeking to do numerous tasks not in alignment with their gifting and ultimately becoming blockers.
We have many other aspects listed in our framework if you would like to get more info at www.churchexcellenceframework.com
To review the studies included in the Framework and find out why we have concluded these things you will need to see the notes which are available for download here.
Please also share our blog to allow others to review and contribute – we need everyone, not just leaders, to play their part in building a church that others want to come to.
CEO. Jane Johnson B.Com Grad Dip LD, Dip Coaching,
Jane has worked in many different leadership capacities from being a professionally qualified Christian Leadership Coach for 13 years to many Christian leaders, to leading a ministry with the Navigators, to being a Senior Learning and Development Manager of a multimillion corporation, advising the management team on strategic approaches to get the best out of their people. She has developed considerable experience with Investors in People taking several companies through to successful accreditation and training as a consultant for them. Hence she understands the amazing impact a tool based on this principle can have.
Connect with her on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=287940854&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile