As the CEO of the Church Excellence Framework, this has been an exciting year where we feel the Lord has given many a rough blueprint for what needs to happen to restore the reputation of the church. Here are a few things we believe in passionately and believe are highly backed up scripturally and in practice.
- Returning the church to the original definition of Ecclesia; that all people have authority and involvement, not just leaders.
- The church serving the people not the people serving the church vision.
- Moving to the Senior Pastor as a facilitator rather than the person who must give permission before people are allowed to act in their area of passion.
- Clarifying and serving the Calling of People vs Serving the Church vision, even if outside of the churches activities.
- Priesthood of All Believers and Every Member Ministry (1 Peter 2: 9) to put less pressure on paid pastors.
- Placing significant emphasis on the skill of the youth and children’s workers, as this is the area of the greatest fruit.
- Bringing back the Five Fold Ministry (Eph 5) ensuring that every church has apostolic oversight, and that there is a role for the Evangelist and those with prophetic gifts. One could also argue for the removal of the Senior Pastor role biblically.
- Increasing understanding of the heavenly court systems and unseen realities of heaven that have been hidden from traditional church teaching.
- More effective methods of Empowering, Establishing and Equipping of the Saints, going beyond small groups and sermons to methods of multiplication, fathering and pathways to growth.
- Moving from measures of “Connecting to a Church” to “Measures of Transformation.”
- Moving away from the Attraction Model to the Discipling Model – Platforms for Community Engagement not Concert Attendance
- Moving towards measuring “numbers of disciples effectively equipped and able to reach out” versus “Numbers attending Church.”
- Changing the staffing structure from appointing ministry roles to appointment by critical Functions such as HR and Communications, Head of Spiritual Operations or Head of Evangelism. Avoiding pastors seeking to do numerous tasks not in alignment with their gifting and ultimately becoming blockers.
- Principle that Quality Relationships result in Engagement more than content so reducing heavy listening content and more net weaving.
- Allowing Debate and Questioning as a key tool for learning that allows doubt to be expressed.
- Encouraging greater unity with other Christian denominations and Christian organizations by seeing more products advertised and working with other churches and city councils.
- Encouraging Trust and Believing the Best in Others particularly new people moving from a “we need to get to know you” philosophy, which slows down disciplemaking and breeds resentment.
- Moving from Teaching to Learning with emphasis on outcomes such as growth of believer not input such as how many are in small groups.
- Multiplication and one-on-one Disciple-making (2 Tim 2:2) not just group discipling.
- Encouraging more Church Transparency and Lives that Invite Feedback and Development.
- Moving from “Shouting on the Mountaintop”, i.e. preaching in a church mainly full of believers to “Immersing in the Culture” and strong missional component that is based in the community not just in the church.
- Encouraging lots of resources to be given to people even if from different parts of the Body of Christ to restore the view we are one body not a location or denomination.
- Establishing a culture of Honouring People, evaluating how people are loved and treated fairly, “All men will know you are my disciples if you love one another” (John 13:34).
- Supporting Christians in the Marketplace (Being Salt and Light) with support in character, outreach techniques and calling or spiritual gifts.
- Bringing the charismatic, contemplative, community care, evangelistic, mystic style churches into one church rather than churches specializing, on the basis that all elements are biblical and not to be excluded.
We have many other aspects listed in our framework if you would like to get more info at www.churchexcellenceframework.com—————————————————————————————————————
CEO. Jane Johnson B.Com Grad Dip LD, Dip Coaching,
Jane has worked in many different leadership capacities from being a professionally qualified Christian Leadership Coach for 13 years to many Christian leaders, to leading a ministry with the Navigators, to being a Senior Learning and Development Manager of a multimillion corporation, advising the management team on strategic approaches to get the best out of their people. She has developed considerable experience with Investors in People taking several companies through to successful accreditation and training as a consultant for them. Hence she understands the amazing impact a tool based on this principle can have.
Connect with her on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=287940854&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile